Wednesday 26 December 2018

The Best Books I Read in 2018

This is a list of the best books I read in 2018. Most, but not all of them came out this year. They're listed in the order I read them, rather than ranked by how much I liked them. Title links are to my reviews of each book. There were a lot of great books I heard of but didn't have time for. So if I've missed your favourites, tell me about them and maybe they'll make next year's list!

An Excess Male by Maggie Shen King - A dystopian novel about China dealing with its increasing unbalance between the number of men and women. Not the easiest read at times, but a fascinating one.

The Coincidence Makers by Yoav Blum - This book is much lighter fare than the others on the list. It's a clever romance novel with some fun worldbuilding.

Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire - I loved the turns of phrase in this book and the stark recognition of how parents can twist their children into being things they're not. And how that messes them up.

Medusa Uploaded by Emily Davenport - A great science fiction novel about assassination on a generation ship. Can't wait for the sequels.

Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennett - The worldbuilding here is brilliant and I loved that the magic system was wholly different from anything I've read before.

The Empire of Ashes by Anthony Ryan - The final volume of the Draconis Memoria trilogy, and it was a blast. (My review of book 1, The Waking Fire.)

The Poppy War by R. F. Kuang - A fairly brutal debut set in an Asian inspired fantasy world in a perpetual state of war.

Dread Nation by Justina Ireland - Different from my norm, in that I don't normally read US based alternate history, but I loved the protagonist and the clever integration of zombies into the Civil War era.

So, what were some of your favourite books this year?

No comments: