Tuesday 28 September 2021

Popin' Cookin' Sushi

 It's been a few years since I did one of these Japanese Popin' Cookin' candy kits. This is the sushi one, which is quite simple in comparison with other kits I've done (I didn't have to look up the instructions in English!). 

The kit comes with a tray for making the shaped pieces (with textured bottoms so the pieces look 'real'). There's a dropper for the caviar, a mixing spoon, and the different flavoured gelatins.







You basically fill the compartments with water up to the line and then add the correct gelatin (my Japanese is still good enough for me to read the package names). The hardest part was stretching out the nori/seaweed base for that sushi piece as it broke and didn't want to hold together. I enjoyed making the little caviar balls, picking up mix from compartment A and dropping it into B where it stayed separated out.

Not sure what the various fruity flavours were, but they worked well together and tasted really good. Even the 'soy sauce' was nice. The inner packaging has mini plates you can cut out for presentation, but I've got an actual Japanese plate for that.

No comments: