Tuesday 23 June 2009

Authors to Watch For Reading List

Starting with this post, I'm planning on doing quarterly (or thereabouts) updates for new authors in SF/Fantasy.

What this list IS: authors who have recently published their first book in the sci-fi/fantasy field.

What this list is NOT: my personal endorsement of these authors and/or their books (though I'm sure there are gems here or I wouldn't be posting this). Several of these are books I have on my 'to read' list and feel that the authors could use some publicity. It's a tough industry and with so many good books to choose from, new authors are often overlooked. This is NOT a comprehensive listing, though I hope as I do each successive post I'll catch more and more of the new authors. Feel free to comment if you know a book/new author I've missed who's published in the past 3-4 months or if one of these authors shouldn't be on this list (mistakes happen).

As usual, there's no reasoning behind the order of the books.

Science Fiction
Singularity's Ring - Paul Melko
New Dawn's Rising - Scott Gamboe
Peacekeeper - Laura Reeve
Close Encounters - Katherine Allred [has a strong romance slant]
Long Journey to Rneadal - Sharon Dreyer

Fantasy
Blood of Ambrose - James Enge
Ice Song - Kirsten Imani Kasai
Midwinter - Matthew Sturges
The Warded Man - Peter Brett
Dragon in Chains - Daniel Fox
The Adamantine Palace - Stephen Deas
Darkborn - Alison Sinclair
Betrayal - Pati Nagle
Living with Ghosts - Kari Sperring

Urban Fantasy
Pandemonium - Daryl Gregory
Mark of the Demon - Diana Rowland
Death's Daughter - Amber Benson
Sins and Shadows - Lyn Benedict
Good Ghoul's Guide to Getting Even - Julie Kenner [Kenner has several books out. I mention her here because her other books are shelved by my bookstore chain in mystery, so she may be new to a lot of urban fantasy readers.]

6 comments:

Patrick said...

Pandemonium was an fantastic read. Probably in my Top 3 of last year. Can't wait for his follow-up effort The Devil's Alphabet.

Jessica Strider said...

Pandemonium is one of those books I've been dying to read but haven't had the chance to pick up. Thanks for the comment.

Sharon E. Dreyer said...

Sure hope that my first and recently released novel makes your list. Check out Long Journey to Rneadal. This exciting tale is a romantic action adventure in space and is more about the characters than the technology.

Jessica Strider said...

Thanks for the title!

Elizabeth Coleman said...

Typo! It's Paul Melko, not Meklo.

Jessica Strider said...

Got it, thanks.