Thursday 24 November 2011

What Books Do You Like To Reread?

I saw this post by David B. Coe after writing about Anne McCaffrey yesterday and knew I had to post about it.

Here are the books I used to reread - or sometimes skim the best parts of - back when I had time to reread books or, conversely, when I didn't have time to read a whole book but needed a quick pick-me-up.

Transformation by Carol Berg for it's incredible mix of sorrow and humour, its characters and the unique magical world she created.  Indeed, her books are so good, and each series so unique, that I highly recommend everything she's written.

Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold because Ista is just such a great character, a feisty middle aged woman, stuck in the middle of a fascinating story involving gods and demons.  It's a unique mythology and always makes me smile.

Resenting the Hero by Moira Moore for its subtle, sarcastic humor and personable protagonists.

Dhampir and Thief of Souls by Barb & J.C. Hendee for the comraderie turned sexual tension between the protagonists, and Magiere's straight woman to Leesil's humourous quips.

The Harper Hall Trilogy (specifically Dragonsong and Dragonsinger) by Anne McCaffrey because Menolly is just that cool.  And I always felt sorry for her horrible home life.

Poison Study by Maria Snyder, for her fiesty protagonist and the subtle love story that develops under your nose.

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine.  If you've only seen the movie, do yourself a favour and read the book.  It is SO much better, and quite different.  It always makes me laugh - and cry.

I just realized these are all by women...  And all fantasy novels  I guess when I'm skimming books or reading to be uplifted, I like a bit of humour and romance.  Or at least a good, moving story.  SF doesn't usually do that for me (considering I prefer post-apocalyptic and dystopian SF that's not surprising).

There are more, of course, but these are the main ones.

What books do you turn to again and again, and why?

3 comments:

Paul Weimer said...

I don't do a lot of re-reading lately, but when I re-read, I generally go back to books I can find joy in time and again, or inspiration. The Zelazny Amber series. Silverlock. Tolkien.

Jessica Strider said...

My reread list was a lot different 10 years ago, when Tolkien would have been on it, as well as Terry Brooks, Raymond Feist, etc. etc. It's hard to find time to reread books now, and some of those early books I've read so often I still know the stories inside out. There are a lot of great authors out there...

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I used to reread all the time but like you, I seldom have time now. I like to pick out parts of LOTR and the first three books in Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth.