Thursday 30 December 2010

Using the Kobo one handed


I got an email asking how difficult it is to use the Kobo one handed - particularly left handed.  Here are pictures of me holding it with both hands.  When I use it, I typically hold the machine in my left hand and turn pages with my right.  If you only want to use one hand, it's not hard, just accept you'll likely need a knee every now and then to hold it steady as you run your hand to different areas (which is what I'm doing at the start of the video when the Kobo leaves the screen).  Also, your hand will likely cramp, as there isn't much variance available (your thumb needs to be on the right side of the right hand button and you have to turn pages too frequently to make it worth putting your hand elsewhere).

Here's a video to demonstrate.  I start with the device on as it takes a while to get to the start screen.  And yes, I say 'scan' when I mean 'scroll'.  I was in a hurry when I made the video.  :)


Using the Kobo left handed. from Jessica Strider on Vimeo.

If you've got a question about the Kobo, feel free to ask in the comments or email me and I'll try to answer it as soon as possible (with a video if required).

3 comments:

Geoff and Amy said...

HI Jessica!

Thanks for posting this response to my email, It's really helpful! I've been trying to decide on the kobo or the sony touch, but I really just want to be able to read a book, I don't care for the rest of these bells and whistles. When did you get your kobo? Is it still holding up well/doing what you need it to do? Thanks again for your help!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

My husband bought me a Kobo for Christmas and it's great for reading. I bought the least expensive cover to go with it and I'm have no trouble holding it. It's so much easier to read on then holding some of those huge, thick fantasy books I love.

Jessica Strider said...

@ Geoff - Glad I could help. Good luck choosing a reader. They've all got some good and bad points. I like how the kobo accepts files from multiple sources (unlike the Kindle) and can read pdf files. On the other hand, the sony reader can skip through pages faster, which is quite an advantage after having to manually scroll through 150 pages on the kobo to get to where I left off reading my book on another device.

@Susan - yes, the kobo's much lighter and smaller than many books nowadays, especially the epic fantasies. I like being able to carry several books at once, so I can decide what I'm in the mood for later, especially when travelling.