Tuesday 28 August 2012

If I Had All The Time in the World


I've seen other bloggers point out upcoming books they're interested in reading.  Well, this is my response to that.  There are so many books I'd love to read, both old and new.  Since I won't actually get to read them all, I figure I could showcase some.  Maybe other people will read them and tell me what I'm missing. :)  Some of these I'm actually planning to read once my current pile of 'obligation' books is gone (and it's almost gone.  I've been pretty harsh about not accepting new review requests as I really want to read books I've been hearing about for years).  These are some books VERY high on my I want to read list.  Look forward to other lists, in several genres.

Showcasing today: science fiction, part 1 of many.

The Unincorporated Man by Dani Kollin & Eytan Kollin

I was sent a copy of the third book in this series, and only recently realized it's a dystopian world.  You had me at dystopian.

The incredible has happened.  A billionaire businessman from our time, frozen in secret in the early 21st century, is discovered in the far future and resurrected, given health and a vigorous younger body. He awakens into a civilization in which every individual is formed into a legal corporation at birth, and spends many years trying to attain control over their own life by getting a majority of his or her own shares. Life extension has made life very long indeed.
Justin Cord is the only unincorporated man in the world, a true stranger in this strange land. Justin survived because he is tough and smart. He cannot accept only part ownership of himself, even if that places him in conflict with a civilization that extends outside the solar system to the Oort Cloud.


Kop by Warren Hammond

Kind of reminds me of James Knapp's Revivors novels, which I really enjoyed.  And the publisher sent me book 3.

Juno is a dirty cop with a difficult past and an uncertain future. When his family and thousands of others emigrated to the colony world of Lagarto, they were promised a bright future on a planet with a booming economy. But before the colonists arrived, everything changed. An opportunistic Earth-based company developed a way to produce a cheaper version of Lagarto's main export, thus effectively paupering the planet and all its inhabitants.

Growing up on post-boom Lagarto, Juno is but one of the many who live in despair. Once he was a young cop in the police department of the capital city of Koba. That was before he started taking bribes from Koba's powerful organized crime syndicate. Yet despite his past sins, some small part of him has not given up hope. So he risks his life, his marriage and his job to expose a cabal that would enslave the planet for its own profit.

But he's got more pressing problems, when he's confronted with a dead man, a short-list of leads, and the obligatory question: who done it? Set up for a fall, partnered with a beautiful young woman whose main job is to betray him, and caught in a squeeze between the police chief and the crooked mayor, Juno is a compelling, sympathetic hero on a world that has no heroes.

Terminal Point by K. M. Ruiz

I really enjoyed book one in this series and can't wait to jump into book two.

Threnody Corwin and her team of rogue Strykers contend with the aftermath of the events in Mind Storm and the unlocking of a new kind of psion power. They're on the run with Lucas Serca, who is closer than ever to destroying the World Court and his father's grip on the planet. Targeting the hidden cache of the planet's food supply meant to transform Mars into a paradise for the chosen few, Lucas triggers an escalating fight with the ruling government as worldwide chaos ensues. It's up to Threnody to save society before it destroys itself, but the cost is high and in the end, there is no such thing as compromise.

There is only survival.

1 comment:

Carl V. Anderson said...

I really enjoyed Kop a great deal, and snagged book two but haven't read it yet. Also need to track down book 3. Well worth reading.