These are little reviews of the comics I picked up yesterday on free comic day.
Malika: Warrior Queen by Roye Okupe, Young EK Studios
- Strong opening with a mother observing her daughter’s attempts at martial arts. There’s set-up and a battle and the hint of more war to come. Gorgeous artwork.
Spill Night by Scott Westerfeld, First Second Books
- A short prequel comic showing a bit of what the younger sister went through the night of the spill. It ends with a few pages from Spill Zone. It’s got some tension going on and a lot of action, and more snarky conversation from Vespertine
Catalyst Prime: The Event by Priest and Joseph Phillip Illidge, Lion Forge
- The setting and time changed every few pages making this rather confusing and hard to follow. By the end things settled into a ‘just before the event’ segment that was very interesting, and the ending was a huge surprise. Not sure I’d continue this though.
Lady Mechanika by Joe Benitez, Benitez Productions
- This volume consists of 3 excerpts, one from each of the current graphic novels. I read and enjoyed the first story. Since I bought the first two graphic novels I decided not to read the other excerpts. I love the artwork and Mechanika’s an amazing character so far.
Doctor Who 2016
- This was a collection of 4 short stories featuring different doctors. They were too short to have much development and so I didn’t find them that interesting.
Doctor Who 2017
- I enjoyed this story. It’s a single story that involves several doctors (but not at the same time) and how they interacted with a particular alien over the years.