Tuesday 28 September 2010

Debut Authors from May to September 2010

My debut author lists will - if all goes well - become a monthly feature on SF Signal starting next month. In the interests of having those posts all follow the same format, I'm posting the titles I've been collecting since May (when I last posted a debut list). I tried to be complete, but I'm sure I missed some, so if you know an author that fits the following criteria please tell me.

1) published with a press carried in bookstores (sorry, it's too overwhelming to try to find out self-published authors and smaller presses - I do the lists based on what comes into the store, which will be changing...)
2) had their first book published between May and September 2010 in the SF/F/H fields.

Sorry, these lists are short so I'm not bothering to alphabetize them, but I will sort them by genre. And while I try to verify these are debuts, I have been wrong before, so if you notice a mistake please tell me in the comments. And since it's come up before, these are debuts with regards to the Canadian market (publication dates sometimes differ by country). Lastly, this is the second list where I've included Horror. I haven't been watching it as closely so I know I'm missing some books in that category.

Fantasy
Stuff of Legends - Ian Gibson
King's Bastard - Rowena Cory Daniells
The Last Page - Anthony Huso
Shades of Milk & Honey - Mary Robinette Kowal
The Left Hand of Darkness - Paul Hoffman
Shadow's Son - Jon Sprunk
The Spirit Thief - Rachel Aaron

Urban Fantasy
Death Most Definite - Trent Jamieson
Confessions of a Demon - S. L. Wright
A Devil in the Details - K. A. Stewart
Dark Oracle - Alayna Williams
Married With Zombies - Jesse Petersen
Black Blade Blues - J. A. Pitts
Red Hot Fury - Kasey MacKenzie
Mob Rules - Cameron Haley
Afterlife - Marie Destefano
Deadtown - Nancy Holzner (came out in January but I missed it on my previous list)

Science Fiction
The Human Disguise - James O'Neal
Wind Up Girl - Paolo Bacigalupi
Noise - Darin Bradley

Steampunk
The Dream of Perpetual Motion - Dexter Palmer
Native Star - M. K. Hobson
The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack - Mark Hodder

Horror
Blood Oath - Christopher Farnsworth
Zombies of Lake Woebegotten - Harrison Geiller
The Loving Dead - Amelia Beamer
Dust - Joan Frances Turner
The Reapers are the Angels - Alden Bell
Emma and the Vampires - Jane Austen & Wayne Josephson

No comments: