Thursday 13 May 2010

Debut Authors Reading List III

This is a list of debut Authors from about January 2010 to May 2010 (I've snuck a few older horror debuts, since I didn't have horror on my previous lists. Once again, these are not books I'm endorsing, they're simply new authors whose first novels came out within the state period. If I've missed any, please note them in the comments and I'll add them to the list.


Fantasy

Spellwright – Blake Charlton

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms – N. K. Jemisin

The Poison Throne – Celine Kiernan

Last Stormlord – Glenda Larke

The River King's Road – Liane Merciel

Lord of the Changing Winds – Rachel Neumeier

*Tome of the Undergates - Sam Sykes (UK debut, US release in August, 2010)

*Empire of Black & Gold - Adrian Tchaikovsky (US debut)



Urban Fantasy

Master of None – Sonya Bateman

Embers – Laura Bickle

Mind Games – Carolyn Crane

Shadow Blade – Seressia Glass (wrote 4 romance novels, first UF)

The Dark Storm – Kris Greene

Hunted by the Others – Jess Haines

And Falling, Fly – Skyler White


Science Fiction

Prison Ship – Michael Bowers

Veracity – Laura Bynam

Song of Scarabaeus – Sara Creasy

A Grey Moon Over China – Thomas Day

State of Decay – James Knapp

Touched by an Alien – Gini Koch


Alternate History


*Dream of Perpetual Motion - Dexter Palmer

*Bitter Seeds - Ian Tregillis



Horror

Mr. Shivers – Robert Jackson Bennett

Play Dead – Ryan Brown

Firefly Rain – Richard Dansky

A Book of Tongues – Gemma Files

Hater – David Moody

Monstrous Affections – Dave Nickle (short stories)

Chimerascope – Douglas Smith (short stories)


* Thanks to Mad Hatter for mentioning these in the comments.

3 comments:

Mad Hatter Review said...

Here are a few worth mentioning:
Ian Tregillis's Bitter Seeds (US)
Sam Sykes's Tome of the Undergates (UK)
Adrian Tchaikovsky's Empire in Black and Gold (US)
Dexter Palmer's The Dream of Perpetual Motion

I especially love Bitter Seeds and Empire in Black and Gold.

Heather Massey said...

I recently finished Gini Koch's TOUCHED BY AN ALIEN and it was a lot of fun! If you like MEN IN BLACK, you'll really enjoy this one. It's a fresh take on the MIB theme, and has a hot romance to boot.

Jessica Strider said...

Thanks for the comments.

Mad Hatter, I guess the varied publication dates for books causes a problem with this type of list. I generate them by walking around the WBB and seeing what's new. Hence, with Tchaikovsky's 4th book recently released he's no longer a debut author for me. But I've seen the PYR covers, and they're gorgeous, so any press they can get is worth it.

I completely missed Bitter Seeds and Dream of Perpetual Motion. I wonder if we have them filed in general fiction... I'll have to check.

Heather, thanks for the reading recommendation. :)