Wednesday 3 March 2010

雛祭り(Hinamatsuri)

I guess it shows how long I've been away from Japan that I completely forgot today is Hinamatsuri, or the Dolls Festival. Japanese girls display their dolls leading up to March 3rd and are given candies and other treats. There's a belief that girls who don't put their dolls away promptly after the festival are doomed to remain single. :P

I received a package today from one of my former students, that included two candy sushi* trays! So I got out my paper doll cutout that I used in Japan (I have other, nicer ones, but this was the first one I grabbed and the first I owned). Makes a cute display.

* Obviously I didn't look at the candies too closely before posting about them. They're mostly fruit and vegetable candies, with a candy rice segment on the left one.

No comments: