Tuesday, 8 September 2026

Book Review: Twig's Traveling Tomes by Gryffin Murphy

Pros: interesting characters

Cons:

Louella Twig is a defunct witch who pooled her disappointment about her unique book magic not being recognized by her teachers by running a bookshop that can teleport between 4 storefronts. Her magic forces her to offer the book needed by each customer, regardless of whether that's the book they want or if it tells them unwanted truths. When one of her former teachers needs help reclaiming the scattered pieces of his stolen grimoire, she joins forces with a group of new friends, including a handsome former thief, to find them.

This is a cozy fantasy romance novel with low stakes and a lot of lighthearted banter. Louella and Everett engage in a lot of flirtation. There's some kissing towards the end of the book with some heat but no on page spice. It's a slow burn romance. The book also contains an intimate off page side romance, and some positive gay and lesbian representation.

Everett is portrayed as the perfect book lover's boyfriend. A real work of wish fulfillment. He's supportive of everything Louella does, encourages her, catches her when she falls (literally and figuratively), pays for her books, and wants nothing more than to be with her and help her achieve her goals. I imagine his attitude will annoy some readers who prefer more of a personality clash between the protagonists. What's keeping them apart is simply that Louella believes he's only around for the adventure and will leave once things settle down again. She doesn't want her heart broken and can't believe he actually loves her.

The main plot is engaging enough. The pages are disguised as exotic creatures scattered around the 4 realms, giving the group reasons to travel and explore unique locations. Some of the places they go are a lot of fun and the variety of creatures - some I recognized and some I didn't - were really neat. I especially liked the haregons, which sounded adorable.

The side characters were entertaining. I especially liked Midge and seeing her relationship with Oliver develop. Feralorn could be a little annoying, but was used sparingly, so that never became an issue for me.

I liked Louella's magic and how it played out. Seeing her have to give people books about things that were embarrassing or problematic made her sympathetic, especially when she prided herself - and had a real reputation - for getting the right book to the right person.

I thought Everett's prophecy was a little too specific and it seemed to cheapen their attraction somewhat.

All in all it's a fun, lighthearted romp, that doesn't take itself too seriously but does wrap everything up nicely at the end.

No comments: