Friday 3 March 2017

3D Metal Notre Dame de Paris Cathedral

A few weekends ago I spent several hours putting together one of my Christmas presents, a 3D metal model of Notre Dame de Paris Cathedral. It was by far the most difficult model I've done, though they all have at least one hard part. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos. My room isn't well lit and I took them with my iPad rather than a real camera.

Here are the pieces: the two sheets of metal, the case, my pliers, and the instructions.


And a few unfolded flying buttresses pieces, with a measuring tape for scale. These were not fun to fold or install. Half way through I had to stop as my eyes were starting to hurt from the glare off the metal and trying to concentrate so hard to make sure each of the pieces 3 prongs went into the correct slots. 

I really love how detailed these sets are, and this one exceeded my expectations. The West Facade was made up of several parts, giving it a lot of depth. The portals (doors) were 3 layers deep! (Sorry the photo's blurry.)

 And here's the finished model from both sides. Yes, I did go back and straighten some of the buttresses.

I'm very happy with how the model turned out. It's quite large (for one of these), and it looks incredible.

No comments: