Thursday 2 July 2009

Faith Hunter - Author Interview

Novels:
Skinwalker

Bloodring

Seraphs

Host


website: http://www.faithhunter.net/wp/

Q. Pitch your latest novel, the first of your new series.

A. Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind—a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can transform into any creature if she has sufficient genetic material, and hunts rogue vampires for a living. She’s hired by the vampire council of New Orleans and Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katies’s Ladies, to bring down a powerful rogue vampire who’s hunting and killing other vamps, tourists and the local cops. Amidst a bordello full of real “ladies of the night,” and a hot Cajun biker with a panther tattoo who stirs her carnal desire, Jane must stay focused and complete her mission—or else the next skin she’ll need to save just may be her own…

Q. What are your favorite three books?

A. I read a *lot,* so my faves are always changing. Right now, my current faves are: White Witch, Black Curse by Kim Harrison, Turn Coat by Jim Butcher, Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris. Love these worlds!

Q. In the books you’ve written, who is your favorite character and why?

A. I totally love Jane Yellowrock. She is tough, gentle, in control of her life (well most of the time) and can dance, fight, and rides a wicked Harley! Jane hunts down rogue vampires when they go insane (which seems to be happening more, lately, in her world) and brings them down. And she has another soul within her, her Beast, who has ideas of her own.

Q. If you could, would you change places with any of your characters?

A. Nope. I love to whitewater kayak, and so far, none of my characters do! Hmmm. I need to write a kayaking fantasy novel! I do, however, love Jane Yellowrock’s friends. I’d take them in a heartbeat!

Q. If you could live in your fantasy/sf world, would you?

A. Yes! I’d love the world of Skinwalker. Jane is my kinda gal, and her pals are sooo…interesting, sexy, scary, magical. Of course, her enemies are equally interesting, sexy, scary and magical, and some are not quite sane. Maybe I’ll stay home and a read a good book…

Q. What was the first novel (published or unpublished) that you wrote and how long did it take to write it?

A. I wrote an as-yet-unpublished novel 20 years ago. I am currently rewriting it, and with what I’ve learned, perhaps now I’ll find a pub. But it doesn’t have a name!

Q. What was the hardest scene for you to write?

A. Sex. I always have trouble writing sex scenes. My mind constantly is asking: Is it too graphic? Is it too bland? Is it done to death? Do my characters have too many hands? Is it physically possible???? Sigh… So I usually throw out the sex scenes. The few I do keep are hot!

Q. What is the strangest question you have ever been asked by a fan?

A. “Can you see my mother?” On the surface, it was an innocent question. But her eyes were asking something much deeper, and darker, and needy. I discovered that her mother had died years before, and she couldn’t let her mom go. She wanted her mother to be standing right behind her, a guardian angel. Because I’ve seen some things that reside outside the physical human world, she hoped I could see her mother. And no…her mother wasn’t there.

Q. What was the most fun book signing, convention, etc. you’ve attended and why?

A. I totally love ConCarolinas. It is a small con, only 1,000 people, but it gives a writer a chance to really meet and get to know fans. And the writers gather each night in the bar and chat, which is really nice!

Q. If you still have one, what’s your day job?

A. I work in a hospital laboratory two days a week, for 16 hours each day. I could quit, but I need several things in my life that I can’t get anywhere else. 1. Benefits. 2. The opportunity to help people. 3. Science that is pretty cutting edge. 4. Away from the current story. My minds needs a break sometimes, and when I return, I am focused and ready to write.

Q. Do you think it is easier to write fantasy or science fiction?

A. Fantasy, hands down! Sci-Fi is awfully binding and my future-science is somewhat lacking.

Q. When and where do you write?

A. Five days a week, eight to ten hours a day. I have a writing room that looks out over woods and a creek and I tend to get distracted with the wildlife!

Q. What is something you didn’t know about the publishing industry before you had your first book published?

A. It isn’t an editor’s or agent’s job to tell me what is wrong with my book so I can sell it—unless they intend to buy it. They just don’t have time to be nice for free.

Q. Do you have any advice for hopeful authors?

A. I have a writing blog with three other writers. Come to www.magicalwords.net and see what we do. It’s fun and you’ll learn a lot!

Q. How many rejection letters did you get for your fist novel or story?

A. That would be the one I am currently rewriting, from 20 years ago. I have no idea. I kept only the interesting ones and I have about a hundred of them. But I really believe it will be published one day!

No comments: