Wednesday 3 December 2008

Christmas Fantasy & Sci-Fi Reading List

Looking for some holiday reading to get into the Christmas spirit?

I went through the SF section a few weeks ago looking for books to display. There were numerous mystery novels so I was hoping for a decent endcap of sci-fi stuff. In retrospect, given how these books take place in other worlds it shouldn't have surprisesd me how few there'd be. I guess it's surprising there are so many. I'm sure there are books I didn't find, so if you know of ones that didn't make my list please comment them. Here are the books in no particular order.



Carol For Another Christmas
- Elizabeth Ann Scarborough
Hogfather - Terry Pratchett
A Yuletide Universe - Brian Thomsen, ed.
Miracle & Other Christmas Stories - Connie Willis
Wolfsbane & Mistletoe - Charlaine Harris & Toni Kelner, ed.
A War of Gifts - Orson Scott Card
The Claus Effect - David Nickle & Karl Schroeder
The Stupidest Angel - Christopher Moore (not shelved in sci-fi, but applicable)
The Frost-Haired Vixen - John Zakour
Dr Who: Short Trips: The Ghosts of Christmas - Cavan Scott & Mark Wright, ed.


Added in February 2013:

Krampus: The Yule Lord - Brom
Season of Wonder - Paula Guran, Ed.
A Cosmic Christmas - Hank Davis, Ed.
A War of Gifts - Orson Scott Card
Wolfsbane & Mistletoe - Charlaine Harris & Toni L. P. Kelner, Ed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, in all honesty I expected this to be an entirely different list (one of those "these are my recommendations for the year" rather than a "actual Holiday/Xmas books list").

What a surprise indeed. I didn't know there were enough Xmas specific books to make a list like that...

Anonymous said...

Very nice list! Thank you for sharing it. I would also recommend Kage Baker's In the Garden of Iden, in which much of the climactic action centers around the holiday season.

Unknown said...

The Father Christmas Letters by Tolkien